Thanks to technological developments, you no longer have to go to physical government offices for public services such as passport application and renewal of licenses, etc. You can get all these services and more from an online portal called the Ecitizen. All you need to do is register and create your personal account.
Importance of having an Ecitizen account
You might think that having an Ecitizen account is unnecessary, but most government offices, including Huduma centers, will require you to have this account in order to administer their services. Some of the benefits of having an Ecitizen account include:
- Access to government services
- Fast and handy, with less waiting time.
- Centralization of processes, as opposed to previous systems that required you to move from one office to the other.
- Allows you to monitor the progress of long processes.
- Accessible from anywhere geographically as long as you have an account and internet access.
Services available on Ecitizen
The services you can access via your Ecitizen account include, but are not limited to
- Application for a certificate of good conduct.
- NTSA services like renewal of driver’s licenses and booking for vehicle inspection.
- Business name registration.
- Business name search.
- Notice of marriage
- Solemnization of marriage
- KRA services such as pin registration and filing returns.
- Land rent clearance certificates.
- Declaring of goods at customs.
- Manifest lodgement at customs.
Requirements for your Ecitizen account
You can create your account online. There are a number of requirements for success. For a successful account creation, you will need the following things: An email address. A valid personal email address, and a password. An email address. A valid mobile number. Create an account by following these simple steps: Login to the Ecitizen portal. Select ‘Create Account’ next to the login button..
Steps for registering your Ecitizen
- Go to your browser and open it. You can use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox for the best results.
- Go the search box and type in ecitizen.go.ke
- Once in the website, carefully read the options provided. You can use this time to scheme through and familiarize yourself with the portal.
- Find the ‘Create Account’ option and click on it.
- This will take you to a new page with different options. If you are a Kenyan Citizen, choose the first option, which reads eCitizen Kenyan Citizen Create Account. If you are a foreign resident, choose the second option.
- The new page comes in form format that requires you to fill in some details. These include you ID number, your first name as it appears on your ID, a working email address, your mobile number and a password.
- All the steps are easy and straightforward. As for your password, make sure it is something unique to you but easily remembered. You can use your ID number, your middle name, the name of a close relative, favourite town, or anything that means something to you. Most people put in passwords without giving them a second thought. They thus forget them immediately they finish with the registration. It is important to remember your password because you will need it each time you log in.
- Once you fill in all the details, Ecitizen will send a validation code to the phone number you provided. Thus, keep on the lookout. The text message will come as a 4-digit code. Enter this code in the provided box.
- In a few seconds, the portal will verify your information and then your Ecitizen account will be ready.
You can now log in to your new Ecitizen portal account from anywhere, using any of the following methods: From your registered mobile number. When the Ecitizen portal indicates that your mobile